Metal structures are used in construction works to provide mechanical strength, stability and/or fire resistance. All structural components and structural kits shall comply with the requirements of EU Construction Products Regulation No. 305/2011 for the CE Marking.
The assessment of steel structures and aluminum structures is regulated under the system of assessment 2+, which requires the intervention of a Notified Body to carry out the initial audit and follow-up inspections of the Factory Production Control.
Manufacturers or their representatives in the European Union are solely responsible for ensuring their products comply with the provisions of the Regulation, both for their marketing and use. When a manufacturer identifies a product with the CE mark, this shows that the product complies with the harmonized standards and therefore fulfils the essential requirements of the Regulation.
Applus+ is a Notified Body for CE marking of structural components or kits and we work with manufacturers throughout the entire CE marking process of their products.
The CE marking of structural components or kits is based on the following harmonized standard:
- EN 1090-1 Execution of steel structures and aluminium structures - Part 1: Requirements for conformity assessment of structural components.
The CE marking based in the above-mentioned standard defines a number of tasks to be performed, some by the manufacturer and others by the Notified Body, depending on the system of assessment:
- To perform Type-Testing in accordance with annex ZA.1 of the harmonized standard.
- To implement of a Factory Production Control (FPC) at the company's facilities.
- To establish a follow-up testing program specifying types, frequencies, etc.
Responsibilities of the Notified Body, when applicable:
- To perform the initial inspection of the Factory Production Control (FPC), assessment and acceptance.
- To perform annual monitoring and assessment inspections.
CE Marking documents:
- Declaration of Performance (Manufacturer).
- CE marking and labelling of the product (Manufacturer).
- Certificate of Conformity of the Factory Production Control (Notified Body, where relevant).
Applus+ has over 100 years of experience in performing inspections of construction products. We have carried out thousands of tests, certifying thousands of products for companies in Spain and across Europe.
- Market your product throughout the European Union.
- One stop shop for your characterization testing and factory production control audits.
- Optimize control over your product and process, thus reducing costs due to non‑quality.
- Improve precision and homogeneity in the technical measurement values of your products and transmit them clearly to your customers.