Challenge: Forming processes for carbon-fibre stringers with complex contours
- Stringers are widely used (4 to 6 km) in aeroplane structures to provide stiffness to the panels. In wings and certain areas, stringers must follow complex contours.
- Current technologies have low productivity and are unable to form contoured stringers without wrinkles.
- There is a need for a high productivity, automated system able to make different types of straight and contoured stringers.
A+ GLIDE FORMING
The revolution in stringer manufacturing
Applus+ has developed a new stringer manufacturing process to provide a versatile, high-productivity and low-investment forming solution that overcomes the major drawbacks of existing forming technologies.
Forming Technologies Comparison
A+ Glide Forming Benefits
- One single machine for different stringers: Ω, T, U
- Only a new male tool is needed to manufacture an additional stringer
- OPEX: highly automated, low labor cost
- CAPEX: only one machine, very simple tools
- Local heating: no heating tools, energy saving compared to current technologies
- Less scrap material